Here are 10 practical, yet fun, holiday gifts for the Senior in your life.
- blankets or throws – whether you a talented quilter who can create a homemade masterpiece, or buy a cozy blanket or throw, you can’t go wrong with this gift option that will warm the soul along with the aging body.
- custom gift basket–gift baskets add the personal touch to practical products. Create a care basket that includes slippers with your loved ones’ favorite lotions, bath soaps, cologne or perfume or create a custom food basket of your loved ones favorite meats, soups,herbal teas, cheeses, chocolates or sauces: a gift basket balances practicality with custom personality and love.
- tablets and iPads–Good for entertainment, medication management and brain-exercising fun, this technology is an excellent option for aged loved ones. The social connection is important for elders, and you might be surprised how savvy your senior can be with a quick tutorial .
- kitchen and bath towels–everyone can use new kitchen and bath towels as these daily items are a necessity of daily life. Adding monogrammed initials or patterns that compliment the home will only enhance this gift.
- gift certificates–
If your loved one is still independent, gift certificates to grocery stores and dining venues allows the senior to not only cut expenses grocery shopping, but also allows them an entertaining lunch or evening out for a special experience. This is also a great gift to help prevent senior malnutrition: an epidemic that many are unaware of in the aging population.
- smartphone– Phones are not only important for keeping the social connection–a necessary ingredient for quality of life–but are also crucial for senior safety. Many smartphones offer large buttons, speed dials, visual rings and more.
- clothes– Buying sweat pants, sweaters, underwear, socks or nice shirts and pants will assure a gift that won’t go unused.
- Kitchen essentials–For seniors who struggle with arthritis or limited hand strength, custom kitchen sets that cater to these conditions can make a perfect gift.
- Photobooks, scrapbooks and custom videos– compiling memory books, scrapbooks or custom videos is a nostalgic gift option that is sure to please. Gather cherished photos, newspaper clippings, travel souvenirs and other momentos and compile them into an art form so that the senior will have a tangible piece of his or her heritage to hold onto and enjoy. Videos are great because you can add your seniors’ favorite tunes.
- Health management and fitness– It is especially important for seniors to stay fit to help prevent stroke, heart conditions and other common ailments that come with age.
Most importantly GIVE THE GIFT OF YOURSELF. The greatest gift a person can give is the gift of themselves. Create homemade coupons that can be redeemed for chores such as window washing, cleaning house, transportation for shopping, church , doctor visits, etc., an invitation to share a meal with you or your family. These are all special gifts that you can share with your senior.